He remains one of the most fascinating and important figures in American history, yet he is also one of the most difficult to get to know. We instantly recognize his face, yet his achievements may seem remote to us. Who was the real George Washington?
Discover the Real George Washington: New Views from Mount Vernon, made possible by the generous support of the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation, brings together history and forensic science to reveal the man behind the legend. His character, intellect, courage, and wisdom can remind us of who we are as a people and a nation.
This website and interactive timeline are companions to the traveling exhibition, which includes nearly 100 artifacts, 12 video and interactive programs, and three life-size, forensic figures of George Washington. The exhibition will visit up to nine institutions over its three and a half year lifespan.Explore the Interactive Timeline
The Interactive Timeline experience requires Adobe Flash Player 6 or higher.
Traveling Exhibition Schedule
- February 19, 2010 – August 1, 2010
- Heinz History Center Pittsburgh, PA
- September 10, 2010 – January 21, 2011
- North Carolina Museum of History Raleigh, NC
- February 22, 2011 – May 29, 2011
- Minnesota History Center St. Paul, MN
- July 1, 2011 – September 5, 2011
- National Constitution CenterPhiladelphia, PA
- October 15, 2011 – January 22, 2012
- Fort Worth Museum of Science and HistoryFort Worth, TX
- February 22, 2012 – May 18, 2012
- Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and MuseumSimi Valley, CA
- June 24, 2012 – September 23, 2012
- Gilcrease Museum Tulsa, OK
- October 19, 2012 – January 20, 2013
- Missouri History Museum St. Louis, MO
- March 9, 2013 – May 15, 2013
- Lied Discovery Children’s Museum Las Vegas, Nevada